BATTERY ENERGY STORAGE SYSTEM (BESS)
RICO’S ADVANCED MICROPROCESSOR CONTROLLED POWER ELECTRONIC CONVERTOR BASED BATTERY ENERGY STORAGE SYSTEM (BESS):-
RICO started the pioneering work on the development and introduction of BESS in the year 1997, jointly with IIT-Kharagpur when a MOU was signed with them in 1998 for joint development of the System. Subsequently, BHEL (Bhopal) also participated in the development work, in the year 2001/2002. Ultimately in the presence of representatives of ABB, Switzerland, manufacturer of Power-Electronic Convertor, it was launched in 2009 with a mega presentation at Central Electricity Authority Auditorium, New Delhi in 2009 with active participation of experts from CEA and different Industries and Stake holders.
The BESS is a system consisting of the following major elements –
- Advanced Bi-directional Power Electronic Convertor (imported from ABB, Switzerland).
- Advanced Lead-Acid Battery.
- BESS/EMS controller for control of the total system for bi-directional power flow including Grid Synchronization of the system.
Bulk Electrical Energy (Multi-MWH) is stored in a giant battery bank during mid-night/off-peak/lean hours, directly from HT Grid (upto 200 MWH per set) and sent back to grid during peak/emergency demand hours. Power conversion job and sensitive control system as required for the purpose is done by the Power Convertor Manufacturer (ABB, Switzerland Make) and the whole system is controlled by suitable software based computer network, which includes routine maintenance of Battery Bank too.
This is a multi-mega-watt-hour Energy Storage System, aimed at large scale grid connected Energy Storage and re-feeding to Grid/distribution system during demand hours. It also may be used in off-grid mode of operation.
For Microgrid Operation, lower capacity system from 20 KW and upward BESS are also available to harness Renewable Energy Sources like Solar Energy, Wind Energy, Micro-hydel Project etc. as off-grid/on-grid operation with Hybrid Energy Generation and Storage System.
- Power-Sector for meeting emergency Power demand, Grid stabilization, reactive power control for peaking Power Storage, load leveling, etc.
- Micro-grid system with Hi-brid Renewable Energy Storage and Distribution in small towns, villages, etc.